Reamm Org

MX News Update 2024


Sunday at Roses: Women’s Lacrosse

In front of a small but knowledgeable audience on Sunday morning, the women’s lacrosse teams began warming up. Lancaster’s warm-up consisted mainly of shooting drills, with York choosing to focus on passing. Once the match started, Lancaster’s shooting practice paid off, with Lancaster midfielder Mia Scarbrough opening the scoring. Lancaster’s Maya Roberts, who would play a brilliant game, doubled Lancaster’s lead early in the first quarter.

Slightly against the run of play, York managed to get a point back when forward Lara Dalton beat three players and put the ball into the back of the net. The accuracy of each pass was an amazing part of this match, with the players catching 40-yard passes with ease. This made for an extremely fast, aggressive match, constantly going up and down the field.

When play resumed after a break between quarters, the intensity of the game continued, with York leveling the scores before taking an early lead. The two sides retreated to the sidelines at half-time, with York leading 5-3, displaying a dominant end to the second quarter led by Lara Dalton.

York continued to assert their dominance deep into the third quarter, with Katie Hewetson scoring a well-worked team goal to extend the lead to 7-3. This lead would increase by two more points before Lancaster could respond, at which point the match was already over. Although York’s attack outpaced Lancaster’s, York looked particularly superior in defence, with goalkeeper Kathryn Halstead making some crucial stops to prevent Lancaster’s fightback.

It took a moment of individual brilliance, which undoubtedly proved to be the goal of the match, to restore Lancaster’s confidence in front of the net, with center Mathilde Birch intercepting the ball on the halfway line and beating a number of players, all before she slid. the ball in the back of the net. The moment sparked a slight backlash from Lancaster, with Maya Roberts and Gabbie Freeman scoring goals in quick succession to capitalize on York’s lackluster fourth quarter performance, bringing the scores to 9–7.

Ultimately this late battle proved futile, York taking advantage of late defensive errors from Lancaster to close the match at 12-8. A touching feeling was the presence of handshakes between the two sides, a gesture of friendliness and respect between the two sides in an intense, hard-fought duel.